Spring Turnip Frittata
211 calories per serving
- 8 ounces broccoli rabe (about ½ bunch) or broccolini, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 ½ cups shredded peeled turnips (about 2 medium)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 8 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup shredded fontina or cheddar cheese
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe (or broccolini) and cook until very tender, about 5 minutes for broccolie rabe (or 6 to7 minutes for broccolini). Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with garlic and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the turnips, onion and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread and pat the mixture into an even layer; cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Then stir the mixture and scrape up any browned bits. Pat the mixture back into an even layer and continue cooking, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir again, spread back into an even layer and cook until mostly golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Wash and dry the pan.
4) Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring briefly, until beginning to set, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Spoon the turnip mixture evenly over the eggs. Top with cheese, then the broccoli rabe (or broccolini).
5) Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake the frittata until set, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes. To release from the pan, run a flexible spatula along the edges then underneath, until you can slide it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.