Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked and mashed (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- ½ cup freshly grated Romano cheese + 2 tablespoons
- ½ pound whole wheat pasta (preferably noodles)
- 1 head of kale, leaves torn from stems
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon alt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, add kale, sesame oil, 2 tablespoons Romano cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat with your hands and massage kale for 1-2 minutes, until flavours are distributed. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, tossing 1-2 times while cooking, until crispy. Remove and set aside.
2) Bring Pasta water to a boil and prepare pasta according to directions.
3) While kale is cooking, heat olive oil and butter on medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add in shallots and garlic with a pinch of salt, cooking for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Increase heat to medium and add in flour, whisking constantly to create somewhat of a roux. Once the roux has turned golden, add in mashed sweet potato and milk, whisking to combine. It will take a few minutes of whisking to bring the mixture together. Let the mixture come to a simmer in order for it to thicken and be careful that it doesn’t thicken too quickly.
4) Once pasta is finished cooking, add noodles directly into the sweet potato sauce. Let sit for a few minutes, then transfer everything to a large bowl. Top with crispy kale and toss to distribute.