- 1 1/2 lbs, large dry sea scallops
- 1/2 cup flour
- dusting of paprika
- 1 tbs good olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup white wine
- Using a paper towel, pat scallops dry. Put scallops on a paper towel lined tray or sheet pan to further wick moisture.
- Put 1/2 cup flour in a bowl and roll scallops individually in flour to coat. Place on an unlined tray or sheet pan.
- Heat frying pan and add oil and butter. Heat, on high, until bubbly ( it is okay to see a little smoke). Add scallops, do not crowd.
- Dust with paprika.
- Sear on high heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. With tongs, turn scallops and continue to sear until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK- or they will be tough.
- Remove from pan to a plate and cover. Scallops will continue to cook.
Lemon Wine Reduction Preparation
To make a delicious reduction, use the brown bits left in the pan:
- Turn off heat and add wine and lemon. Stir up brown bits. Turn heat back on high and let reduce by half.
- Plate scallops and spoon reduction over them. Serve immediately.