1 slice, makes 16
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange rind
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine cake flour and 1/2 cup of the sifted powdered sugar, and set aside.
2. In a small mixer bowl, beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed for about 6 minutes (or until thick and lemon-colored).
3. Gradually add the remaining powdered sugar, beating constantly for about 4 minutes.
4. Stir in the orange peel.
5. Wash beaters thoroughly.
6. In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
7. Gently fold yolk mixture into whites.
8. Sift flour mixture over egg mixture, 1/3 at a time, and fold in gently.
9. Turn into ungreased 9 inch tube pan.
10. Bake in 325 degree oven for about 55 minutes (or until cake springs back when lightly touched).
11. Invert cake in the pan, cool thoroughly.
12. Remove from the pan.
13. With a long tined fork, poke holes on top of the cake at 1 inch intervals.
14. For syrup – combine orange juice and honey in a saucepan.
15. Simmer for 5 minutes.
16. Remove from heat, stir in almond extract.
17. Spoon syrup evenly over the cake (a small amount at a time), allowing the cake to absorb the syrup.
18. Chill, if desired.