Makes 1 pizza
- 1 batch of whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ripe peach, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cups blackberries, coarsely chopped
- 10-15 basil leaves, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
Prepare dough as directed and while it’s rising, heat a large nonstick skillet over low heat and add butter and onions with a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in brown sugar and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Shape dough as desired and top with garlic and olive oil. Add on the grated cheese, then top with the chicken, peaches, berries, basil and caramelized onions. Evenly place fresh mozzarella on top. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until cheese is melty and golden. Top with additional basil and finely grated parmesan if desired! It’s also delicious when topped with a balsamic glaze.
While pizza is baking, heat vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow to come to a boil, then let simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes until reduced to about 1/3-1/2 cup. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes to thicken. When pizza is finished baking, drizzle glaze on top and serve.