- 2 slices bread (we used a white bread, but one filled with lots of different whole grains and seeds would be best)
- 2-3 tablespoons Green Herb Pesto (recipe below)
- 2 slices mild white melty cheese like mozzarella
- handful fresh baby spinach
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- olive oil (and butter if you choose)
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of green herb pesto onto each slice of bread (2 tablespoons total, but if you’re sensitive, go light, the pesto is strong).
- On one slice of bread, add 1 slice of cheese, sliced avocado, crumbled goat cheese, spinach, second slice of cheese, then top it with second slice of bread. Press together gently.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium low heat. (If you want to use butter, add it to the oil and let it melt). Add the sandwich to the oil and cook until bread is golden brown. Press down on the sandwich lightly, then flip the sandwich over and cook until second side is golden brown.
Green Herb Pesto
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 anchovy fillet (in oil)
- ½ small shallot, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- handful chopped fresh Italian parsley
- handful chopped kale
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse garlic, anchovy, and shallot in food processor until chopped. With the food processor running, add lemon juice, parsley, kale, tarragon and chives. (It won’t process very well yet, don’t worry).
- Very slowly drizzle in olive oil until kale and herbs get sufficiently chopped and everything is the consistency of a pesto. You may need more or less of the olive oil depending on how big a “handful” of herbs is to you. You can also turn off the food processor and push herbs down the side of the bowl with a spatula every once in a while.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(This makes a lot, but you will use it all for other things. We added more olive oil to make it back into a salad dressing.)