makes 7-8 large patties
2 cans cannellini white beans, drained
1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp tahini
2 tsp maple or agave syrup
1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning OR Cajun seasoning (or another fave spice!)
1/4 cup wheat flour
optional: additional seasoning (whatever you have on hand – I used a few dashes cayenne, black pepper and a scoop of nutritional yeast)
salt to taste if needed
plentiful Panko crumbs
safflower oil for pan
burgers: avocado, Dijon mustard, grain buns, romaine, onion, olive oil, pepper
1. Bake sweet potato. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
2. Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.
3. Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning. Your mixture will be quite soft and moist. But you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs – or dry rice to thicken the mixture if needed.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat.
5. Form a patty from mixture and coat in Panko crumbs. Thick coating. Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides. You could also bake. If baking, use less Panko.
6. Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Cool for a few minutes.
7. Serve on toasted bun with lotsa toppings.
Note: yes this patty does fall kind of apart as you eat it. But that is OK because it tastes yummy.
Tag Archives: Summer Recipes
Guilt-free red velvet cake batter… is there even such a thing? This twist on a common favorite bakery treat will give those calories a run for their money. Try this healthy smoothie and see if it does the trick to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Red Velvet Cake Batter Green Drink
1 C. non-dairy milk, or organic milk
1 small/medium beet: peeled, steamed, and chopped
1/3 C. frozen raspberries
1 frozen banana
4 TB. cocoa powder
1 TB chai seeds or ground flax seeds
1-2 TB. sweetener of choice (agave, maple syrup, or honey)
Recipe & Picture via http://thediva-dish.com/
Putting together these star spangled kabobs are as easy as it gets. All you need for this quick and healthy Independence Day display are blueberries, bananas, strawberries and skewers. Cut fruit and place accordingly to create an American flag.
In addition to the ease of preparation, and obvious health benefits of this dish, these fruit kabobs are great because they can be easily adjusted to accommodate the number of people you are serving. Expecting more people last minute? Simply add a few more stars and stripes to the flag.
Summery Pasta Caprese
Light and Refreshing
Serves 4 for an appetizer
Serves 2 for entree
1/2 pound orecchiette
1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 lb. mozzarella, preferably ciliegene (balls)
2 tablespoons basil pesto
12 basil leaves, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1. Bring a large pot of water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil. Add the pasta, stir a few times, and then cook until it’s al dente.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil leaves, mozzarella, olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
3. Drain the pasta and place back in the hot pot on low heat. Add the basil pesto making sure to coat the pasta. Stir to incorporate.
4. Add pasta to large bowl and toss it with the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
6 (1/2 cup each)
Calories: 154.7 • Fat: 11.7 g • Protein: 9.3 g
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 hard boiled egg whites, chopped (discard the rest)
- 1 medium hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fat free plain yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground pepper
- Combine the egg yolks with the avocado, light mayo, yogurt, chives, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mash with a fork. Combine with egg whites and adjust salt as needed.
1lb ground chicken
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lime, cut in half
4 slices pepper jack cheese
4 buns, toasted
For the guacamole:
salt & pepper
1. Combine chicken, green onions, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and juice of half a lime in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined, then form into 4 patties and spray each side generously with non-stick spray.
2. Heat a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Grill burgers for 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through. Place a slice of cheese on top of each burger, then cover with a large pot lid, and allow to melt for about a minute. Remove burgers to a plate, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Place each burger on a toasted thin bun, then top with guacamole.
3. For the guacamole: Mash all ingredients together with a potato masher or fork.