- 1 large eggplant
- 3 large tomatoes, to match the diameter of the eggplant
- 0.4 lbs Bulgarian feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- juice of half lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut of the eggplant crosswise into ½” thick rounds. Lightly season them with salt and leave them for 30 minutes on a side to let water to come out of the eggplant.
- Once ready drizzle some olive oil on top of each slice and grill them on a lightly oiled grill rack for 2 -3 minutes each side.
- Blend the basil leaves with 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon salt in an emersion blender until smooth.
- Cut the tomatoes crosswise to 1/4” thick rounds.
- Lightly oil the baking pan. Arrange 4 eggplant rounds side by side. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the basil-garlic mixture on top of each one, then generously sprinkle feta crumbs. Top each with tomato rings. Add another layer of eggplant, basil spread, feta and tomato rounds and top with the rest of the crumbled feta.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top of each stack and bake for 15 minutes.
I picked up an eggplant at the farmer’s market this weekend and made this recipe last night. So yum! I added a little mozzarella cheese too. It turned out really great. Loved the recipe!
Made this to go with our fish and rice tonight. It was delicious! My husband, who is not crazy about eggplant, enjoyed this. My four year old loved it as well! Thank you!
I made this for my roommates and I a couple weeks ago and it was a big hit!! I didn’t have fresh basil leaves at the time, but can only imagine how much better it would’ve made it. Regardless, we all loved it!! I’m returning now to record the recipe in my recipe book. Thank you for sharing!
Good article! We will be linking to this particularly great
post on our site. Keep up the great writing.