- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili paste or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek
- 2 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, beans and chili paste and heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the beans. Remove from the heat, add 2 tablespoons water and mash until somewhat smooth. Spread in a 2-quart glass casserole dish.
Scatter the cheese over the beans. Halve and pit the avocados; scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash with 1 teaspoon salt and the lemon juice. Spread the avocado over the cheese.
Reserve some scallions, cilantro and jalapeno for garnish. Pulse the yogurt with the remaining scallions, cilantro and jalapeno in a blender or food processor. Spread over the avocado. Top with the lettuce. Season the tomatoes with another teaspoon salt and scatter over the lettuce. Top with the reserved scallions, cilantro and jalapeno.
Per serving: Calories 290; Fat 15 (Saturated 5); Cholesterol 18 mg; Sodium 702 mg; Carbohydrate 25 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 18 g